area was the intersection of several important early trails.
The trail from Pilot Grove to the Cedar Falls crossing came
through Cedar City, and from here, a trail led north to
the Janesville river crossing, Waverly and Charles City.
a French trapper and trader, explored the Cedar City area
prior to white settlement. He disappeared for several years,
but returned in 1847 and built a cabin here. He is also
buried here, though the exact gravesite is unknown.
Cedar City emerged
in the 1850s as a convenient stopover for teamsters hauling
supplies from Dubuque to the frontier settlements. The community
came to include two inns, a general store and a brewery.
A plat of the town was filed with the county in 1856.
When the railroad
came through in 1864, there was no longer any need for the
teamsters who were the mainstay of Cedar City. The inns
and the store closed and the town slowly disappeared. Despite
its tough mule skinning peat, Cedar City is now a rather
peaceful part of modern Cedar Falls.