Lincoln School, also known as Old Central, was built in
1864 on the site of the Cedar Valley Agricultural Fairgrounds.
It was completed in 1866, at a cost of $23,000. Since it
was the only public school in Cedar Falls for a time, the
schoolhouse served children from primary grades to high
In 1904, it formally
took on the name “Lincoln.” By 1924, the decision
had been made to raze the building, when the current Lincoln
School was built across the street.