Township School House #5 is representative of the more than
9,000 rural schools that once dotted the state. This schoolhouse
was built in 1909, replacing an older building. It originally
stood in the center of Bennington Township, four miles east
of U.S. Highway 63 on the Dunkerton Road (near St. John's
Church). It was thus known as "Center School,"
and was used as the polling place for the township.
The school features
old desks, blackboards, books, a pot-bellied stove and other
furnishings typical of the turn of the century.
was purchased in 1966 for $1,000 and donated to the Black
Hawk County Conservation Board. It was moved to Black Hawk
Park in 1968 and given a new foundation and roof. Several
local groups have undertaken Restoration work, most notably
the Cedar Falls teachers, who made the school house their
Bicentennial project in 1976.
was relocated to Sturgis Park in 1988 by the Cedar Falls
Historical Society and is part of the museum complex. The
building is open to the public from May to October.