a hill south of the West Fork River is the site of Finchford
School, which was in operation from 1921 until 1960. In
1920, an $80,000 bond was passed to purchase the site and
build a two -story brick school building. The first graduating
class in the spring of 1922 had three students. Many children
from the outlying areas were brought to school in horse-drawn
"buses." In 1920, Finchford also began a monthly community
meeting of educational programs using the talents of teachers,
students and local people, followed by a "social hour."
After the building's demolition, Union Township trustees
made the grounds into a city park, and the gable stones
of the building may still be seen there marking the site
of Finchford School.