First named Newell's
Ford, for the original settler family, Finchford later was
called Finch's Ford after J.L. Finch, who operated the first
mill on the West Fork River. Finch's Ford eventually came
to be known as Finchford.
Barrack came to Cedar Falls with the Overman brothers in
1847. He later acquired land where a well-used trail crossed
the Cedar River north of the falls. It was a good site for
a dam and a mill, and Barrack platted a village, named after
his wife, Jane.