1845, two covered wagons stopped on the east bank of the
Cedar River at a place known as Prairie Rapids Crossing.
In these two wagons were the founders of present day Waterloo,
George and Mary Hanna along with their family. In the summer
of 1846, the Virdens and the Mullans arrived, becoming the
Hanna's first neighbors. In 1851, the town was awarded a
post office and a permanent title, but the name needed to
be changed. Charles Mullan, who managed to secure seven
signatures on a petition to get the post office, thought
that the name Prairie Rapids Crossing was too cumbersome
for mailing addresses. As a result, the name of the settlement
was changed to Waterloo.